Thursday, June 2, 2011

Tea Party



This week was my current principal's retirement party. The plan was a very casual tea party. Well, it turned into a beautiful art gallery/tea party.

When I was trying to decide what I wanted to make I had to consider the very short amount of time I would have, how far in advance I would have to make the cake and Judy's personal style.

I started with two 8 inch round vanilla cakes and two 6 inch round vanilla cakes. After the cakes are baked they are frozen and leveled.

Next, the cakes were filled with Lemon Curd filling using Judy's own delicious recipe. The cakes were then lightly iced in vanilla buttercream.

To get the cakes as smooth as possible I use an ironing technique. I use extra smooth disposable shop towels and a little plastic trowel. After the icing has crusted I rub the trowel lightly, in a circular motion over the entire cake.
Next I covered the cakes in white fondant. At this point I also added 5 dowels to the bottom cake to support the weight of the top layer (forgot to take a photo).

At this point I was not too happy with how much of the base of the top cake I could see. I decided to add a pearl border around the base of both layers. This meant cutting out circles of fondant and rolling them into many, many, little balls.
VOILA!
 Finally, my favorite part, the decorating!!! I can not take all the credit here. I chose a design I had found on the internet and put in my inspiration folder. I chose it because it wasn't overly girly and had a little bit of retro flare.



3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that cake! I'm having a little tea party for my birthday and that would have been perfect! Seriously, you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh another beauty!! I've missed seeing your creations.

    ReplyDelete